Sunday 30 March 2014

Happy Mothers Day!

I was a very lucky mum today - breakfast in bed, a lie in and.......The Great British Sewing Bee Book! I've not made clothes since school but intend to make many things from the book, I can't wait to get started. But first I ought to finish some of my WIP's.......

A quick update: I have cut to size the backing for my quilt and the wadding has arrived so I will get on with that this week; my mum has just helped me through a slightly tricky bit in the sewing up of my cardigan so I can get on with that now; I sorted through my scrap stash in the week and cut out 66 clam shell patches for a cushion cover I want to make.


And I've also been working on these....


A work colleague of my husband has just had his first baby so baby names have been the subject of many conversations. Knowing the baby was to be a boy, Mateusz had already been chosen but my husband thought that Jimski would suit him rather well - I made these personalised bibs, just in case they can't decide! They were really fiddly - the letters were small because they had to fit but were slipping all over the place. I realise that I could have stuck the letters down with pritt stick or some other, or tried to bondaweb them down and then sew them but I think whichever way, it would have been tricky. In the words of my niece, it's the imperfections that show it's home made so although my husband was expecting something a little more "perfect" and shop-bought looking, I think they're quite cute.


I shall link up with Handmade Harbour today, and hopefully I will be able to make more comments (my husband has shown me how to get around my problem). Thank you to everyone for such lovely comments last week about my quilt top, hopefully I will be able to show you the finished article soon.

Love Natalie 

10 comments:

  1. Those bibs are so sweet Natalie! I am sure they'll love them.
    I hope to add a clamshell cushion to my WIP list some day soon too. Your colours look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clam shell cushion cover sounds interesting. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt top in the previous post is stunning and I also love these cute bibs. For tiny bits of appliqué, I use bondaweb but it can make the item seem quite stiff. You have done a fantastic job without!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the clam cushion. The colours look lovely.

    Well done with the bibs. My mam used to swear by 'freezer paper' when she was doing appliqué. Never used it myself but have read a lot of good reports about it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh how exciting to get the sewing bee book! I bet its full of really useful tips, i look forward to seeing what you decide to make first!

    I love the bibs, the handmade look is definitely endearing - if it looks like it came of a factory line, what's the point! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bibs look great, I love the handmade look:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bibs are lovely. I do like the mix of patterns and colours you have chosen for your clamshell cushion cover. Hope you have a good week.

    Jill, Christmas Pie Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bibs, and it sounds like you've been really busy - can't wait to see the clamshell cushion when it's made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet bibs, and lovely to make a personalised gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww those little bibs are ultra cute, they will be well received I bet. The clam shells look interesting bet the cushion will be fab.

    ReplyDelete