Sunday 18 August 2013

Like many pupils up and down the land, my sons wanted to give their teachers gifts at the end of the summer term. Sometimes I find this to be an arduous and costly task, since you don't really know these people so don't know if they prefer wine, chocolates, if you get them flowers, are they going on holiday etc etc. This year has been no problem though because all 3 of my sons wanted to make something! So I present to you the Junior Jones efforts:


Number 1 son left junior school last week so he wanted to do something really special for all of the teachers he has had through year 6. I noticed during Open Evening that they each had his graffitti-esque name drawings on paper in their rooms so I suggested to him that he make them a canvas version each, and this is the result.


Number 2 son is not quite as creative as his brothers (he is too busy playing sport) but asked if he could personalise a lavender heart for his teacher, so she now has something to remember him by!

Number 3 son has had a wonderful first year at junior school and has had a fantastic teacher so we decided she deserved something a bit special. He always enjoys the sewing in DT classes so we found a poem that we liked and he made this.....




He and his teacher decided to dispense with their correct names this year and have referred to themselves as Vaughny and Jonesy since Christmas, so he has signed himself off appropriately! I can honestly say that I only put the fabric into the ring at the end, he wrote out the poem, did the sewing and put the brads in place himself, and was mighty pleased with himself too!

He also had a wonderful teaching assistant so he personalised a lavender heart too.


 
 
I can't deny that I'm indulging in a proud Mummy moment looking at these photos, I'm sure the teachers were thrilled to have been given something handmade.

Join me over at Homemade Harbour (http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.co.uk/) for Handmade Monday, catching up on all that has been crafty this week. Having been away for a couple of weeks, I can't wait to catch up with everyone!

Love Natalie

11 comments:

  1. I think the Junior Jones' makes are really lovely and will mean so much more to the recipients than chocolates, wine, etc. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the teachers appreciated the time and effort it took you to make the hearts and to decorate them. I'm not particularly good in cross stitch or embroidery- you clearly are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all those handmade gifts will be really treasured. As I work in a school I always feel a bit embarrassed by the gifts, but would love anything handmade and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your boys handmade gifts are so much nicer than anything you could have bought. I expect they will be really treasured. Oh and well done to your very talented sons.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely gifts. I would love my children to sit down and do a bit of sewing... maybe in a few years (they're still quite little).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What talented children you have, I'm sure the teachers will treasure them for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always like to give something special to my teachers as they do so much, they look like really nice presents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww so cute! Its really lovely to hear that your boys have such affection for their teachers and that they've really focussed on making them such special gifts - i'm sure they'll be treasured for many years to come :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creative family you are and how lovely that they wanted to give their teachers a handmade present. I'm sure their teachers will treasure the gifts xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stumbled across your blog ( it's lovely!) and have nominated you for a Liebster Award. x

    http://lovelucie1.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww Natalie! They are SO cute! Your sons have really done themselves proud - I bet all their teachers really appreciated their gifts, so much more than the shop bought ones. Gorgeous! Simmi xx

    ReplyDelete