Sunday 14 April 2013

The Easter holidays are over but with the sun shining today, at least they've gone out on a high. Who could believe that we were freezing our you-know-whats off a week ago, wondering if it would ever stop snowing? I hope I'm not speaking too soon - I've given up looking at the weather forecast so I hope we're not due to get rain tomorrow. It would be nice for the boys to walk to school without getting wet on their first day back.

I've kept myself busy this week with all the usual drudgery of school holidays (uniform, haircuts, party gifts, keeping the washing up to date....) but squeezed in some crafting. Not least because I have committed myself to a craft fair! It's not till late July but as we know, life has a way of interrupting all sorts of plans. A friend of my Mum's is organising a fair as a charity event and asked if Mum would come along with her cards. She in turn suggested that my sister and I might like to come along with our variety of homemade items. Inspired by having a deadline of sorts, I set to work on a couple of projects that I had started preparing. I had used Mum's Big Shot to cut out lots of felt hearts a little while ago so I have made a collection of hanging felt decorations. I know felt is not to everyones taste (you know who you are!) but I'm please with them.


I think I'm going to concentrate on making small-ish things for the fair as I know that footfall and average spend can be a bit of a "problem" at this kind of event (we've all been along merely to browse before) so I'm also going to make some fabric heart lavender bags, some more key rings and some coin purse key rings. Once I've stocked up on these, I can make some cushions  and carrier bag dispensers if time allows. And tooth fairy cushions. And doorstops.......blimey, I'd better get a wriggle on!

I had a wonderful day yesterday with my Mum and Dad at the Quilt Fair at Kent County Showground. My parents thought I was hilarious, buzzing around as I was from one stall to the next. It was an absolute treasure trove. I had been saving up for ages, keeping my "income" from crafting for just such an event, and it wasn't wasted. Look at what I came home with


I can't wait to get to work with the fabrics and patterns and projects that I bought - but all in good time, given what I've just said about building up stock for a fair.

In preparation for going back to school and work tomorrow, I am about to host a Let's Get the House Tidy Again party with my husband and children before tea. Then I'll be linking this post with Handmade Monday (http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.co.uk/).

Enjoy a sunny evening if you've got one!

Love Natalie

13 comments:

  1. Now that is one party that I need here! I like your hearts and think that filling them with lavender is a great idea. Good luck with all your making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots and lots of lovely goodies - look forward to seeing what you make with them. Sounds like you had a great time at the fair. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hearts are really lovely. I love the nice bright colours! Good luck with the fair. I have not had good luck at fairs, but I notice that these sorts of things always sell well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hearts look really lovely, and I'm sure will sell well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww don't your felt hearts look cute all hanging together! They will make a lovely colourful display for your stall at the fair :) I don't blame you for starting early, these things creep up soooo quickly don't they! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your felt hearts look lovely, especially hung together like that. It makes sense to keep an eye on the prices of most of your stock for the fair, but I'd take a couple of your more expensive items so people can see what you can make.
    Happy making :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for starting early and your felt hearts are very cute. I'm looking forward to exploring the rest of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hearts look really pretty. I hope the fair goes really well. I like the idea of a Let's get the house tidy again party, I hope everyone turned up. Have a lovely week.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Let's Get the House Tidy Again party idea! I remember that feeling at the end of school holidays :)
    I think you are right to think of smaller items for your craft fair - people are still quite wary of spending but do take some larger items too as you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hearts look lovely. Such bright colours. I'm sure they will be very popular at the craft fair.

    Have a wonderful time going through your purchases - somehow I think you will.... xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your idea about planning and making now for the fair is great, I'm trying to do that with workshops - make samples well ahead but as you say life can get in the way. Your stash pile looks lovely, will be good to see what you make :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hearts look beautiful. I like felt things because they are so soft.

    ReplyDelete