Sunday 10 March 2013

Happy Mothers Day!

I hope you have all had a nice Mothers Day and have been treated accordingly. I received Skyfall and a huge bar of chocolate this morning, and a framed "picture" from Archie of all the words he associates with me, ranging from Kind to Fierce (apparently he means fierce in the "That's fierce!" way).

I am really proud of my crafting this weekend. On Friday I received the latest copy of Craftseller magazine and after reading it from cover to cover I immediately set about making the Cheeky Doorstop. I haven't exactly used Vintage fabrics but some contrasting purple fabrics that I had in my stash. I'm so pleased with the result!


I shall definitely make some more of these because they would make great presents. There was great debate last night (aided by a few drinks) about whether he is a duck, chicken or turkey (turkey? seriously? Ross, you'd had more to drink than I realised.....) but he is certainly a duck and looks at home amongst my other ducks on the fireplace.



I also made some placemats which have turned out well. I learnt many lessons sewing with the bias binding last weekend so I think the edging is better.




BFF asked me to make her a placemat and picked the material. I had originally intended to applique a cupcake in the middle but I decided that the material was so pretty that it shouldn't be too covered. My quilting skills are still a work in progress, and how I was going to quilt the mat has quite literally kept me awake for a few nights (don't ask). I decided I would try and quilt heart shapes above and below a central line. The hearts would then have to be quite small so, having sewn a straight line across the middle first, I opted to sew 3 hearts across the middle of each mat (the central one being slightly larger than the other two). This does mean I have a slightly random line across the middle so when I make some more I will miss that out but still, the result is good enough that my ever tolerant husband asked if we could keep one (for the record, he is also really impressed with the Duck!).


So, 1 for BFF, 1 for me and since Mum is having to cook us dinner (my oven gave up the ghost on Friday night), 1 for Mum!

I will be linking up with Handmade Monday, facilitated as ever by Wendy over at http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.co.uk/. Wendy also features in Craftseller Magazine this month with her Slinky Bird Feeder which is a great way to help feed the hungry birds at this time of year. Join me if you can to see what everyone else has been up to during the last few days.

Love Natalie x

15 comments:

  1. Yes, he is a duck I think - he reminds me of the yellow rubber bath ducks! You've made a lovely job of him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no i thought he was a chicken sorry!!! He is beautiful all the same!!!! I am soooooo excited about the place mats they look fab you clever clever girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your birdie doorstop is brilliant. Love the fabrics you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your bird doorstop. To me he looks like a sitting bird :)just give him a nest now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, you're duckie doorstop is fantastic! Soooo cute hanging out with his duckie friends by the fireplace :)

    Your placemat is beautiful! That fabric really is pretty isn't it, and the finished result is very professional looking :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was a chicken at first because it seems to have a slight comb on the top of its head. He does look quite at home there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duck, chicken, bird, whatever - he's so cheeky! I LOVE him! Great job! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a lovely mother's day and good to know your appreciated fiercely :) I love the duck, although it must have been an interesting conversation. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your kind comment. The tooth is finally on the mend, but my purse is now suffering. Have a lovely week.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think he looks like a duck, a very cute one at that. The other ducks he's with seem to have welcomed him too! I really like the fabric you have used for your placemats. I just got my craftseller magazine today, will enjoy a read tonight tucked up in bed with a coffee and biscuit!
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous doorstop and most definitely a duck!love the place mats too-you've been very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like the duck - he looks right at home. What a great time for your oven to break down - in time for Mothers Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great duck, yes I'd say he's a duck, he looks like he's smiling.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh what a fab looking Duck - my husband is the same - the first owl I made, he said looked more like a squirrel??? And well done on the placemats - I have never even tried quilting, so I can totally understand how it kept you awake, but it looks brilliant :-) Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the doorstop and am also suitably impressed with your quilting techniques!

    ReplyDelete